Saturday, July 23, 2011

Adventures in Missing The Point

Some stories illuminate things very well. This is one of them, enjoy. 

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they went to sleep. Some time later, Holmes awoke and nudged his friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see." "I see millions and millions of stars." "What does that tell you?" "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?" "Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent." Sometimes we can observe a whole lot of things that God doesn't really care about, and miss the obvious thing that He's vitally interested in. See also Mat 23:24: "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!"