Sunday, September 13, 2009

Great Friends

Great friends are rare indeed. Finding people who you connect with, trust, aren't worried about weird things with, and can be real with, is not an everyday occurrence.


When I think of the great friendships I have, I feel like a very rich man indeed. I believe true friendship is one of life's richest blessings. I am so thankful for each one of them.

Here are some of the things to look for in a friend:
1. Mutual desire for the friendship
2. Trustworthy
3. Something to connect about (same interests, stage of life, faith, job, etc.)
4. Mutual respect for each other
5. They will tell you if your fly is down or you have food in your teeth
6. Know your faults and love you anyway

And by far my favourite...
7. When you spend time with them it is life-giving. This is really the mark of a great friend. They are selfless, wanting to serve you and be a blessing to you. It's only a truly great friendship, though, if the selflessness is in both parties of the friendship.

Here's how you get great friends:
1. Be a great friend.
2. That's pretty much all.

"A man who has friends must himself be friendly." Prov. 18:24