Friday, February 12, 2021

Why Inputs Matter and Some Podcast Recommendations

 Last summer my 20-year-old daughter looked at me as I was sitting on the couch, reading a book, and said, "Dad, I found something for you." She was looking at her smartphone and then proceeded to show me an app called, "Couch Potato to 5K." Now running is not something I have ever enjoyed or even been remotely attracted to. In fact, I hate running. I love sports and competition but exercise without someone to beat has always seemed like torture to me. However, in a moment of weakness, I told her that if she would do it, I would too, and to my shock and horror, she said she would. No one on this earth could get me to try running except my sweet daughter and so we began. It was every bit as torturous as I imagined but at least we were suffering together and I enjoyed the shared experience. After a few weeks, I got sick and had to quit for a few days and when I was finally ready to get back at it our schedules no longer lined up. However, somehow, the habit stuck. When winter approached I started running on a treadmill and now I run a few times every week. My daughter got me running... but do you know what kept me running? Podcasts. I know it sounds weird but although I listened to one or two podcasts each week before, now I listen to a few every single day and I absolutely love it. I love having another mode of positive input in my life. Here is the reality, our lives move in the direction of the inputs we bring them. Our hearts are feeding on the inputs we choose. Psalm 1, Matthew 6, Luke 6, Romans 8 and so many more passages talk about the value and power of inputs. How much time do we spend on TV, Facebook, Netflix, books, etc.? What are we feeding on there? What will the LONG TERM results be? Where will it take us? This is not an option, it is an inevitability. You can't feed on trash and produce beauty! 

Anyway, enough of my preaching. I find this a huge battle in my life to manage my inputs and podcasts have helped. So let me recommend a few. 

For preaching I really enjoy...

1. Chris Hodges from Church of the Highlands

2. Craig Groeschel from Life Church

3. JD Greear from Summit Church

4. Rick Warren from Saddleback

5. Tim Keller

6. Mark Batterson from National Community Church

7. Stephen Furtick / Levi Lusko / Judah Smith / Andy Stanley / Louie Giglio


For Leadership I really enjoy:

1. Craig Groeschel Leadership 

2. Emotionally Healthy Leader - Pete Scazerro

3. Focus on this

4. Carey Nieuwhof - Leadership

5. Vanderbloomin

6. Dream Big - Bob Goff

7. Unseminary / Battle Ready (Erwin McManus) / Church Pulse Weekly / Catalyst / At The Table (Patrick Lencioni) / H3 Leadership / Leaderfluent (Blandino)


Of course, we'd love you to check our Victory Church Moose Jaw sermons podcast as well as our new equipping podcast. I also love picking a conference that has been podcasted and listening to all the talks - my favorite so far is the ARC conferences. 


My suggestion? Pick one podcast from each of the above categories (ie. one preaching, one leadership, and one from the last paragraph) and listen to 5 or 10 of their productions. If you are loving it, listen to as many as you can until you are sick of it. Then pick another one from each category and keep going. Some podcasts I listen to every single one they have available (2-3 years worth sometimes) and some I only listen to a few. I hope you can enjoy and benefit from this new form of positive input. It has been such a huge blessing in my life.