Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Intentional Life

Life can be lived at a whim, doing whatever one wants at any moment in time. This seems intuitively to be the happiest way to live. In fact, it's really really stupid.

But here's  the crazy thing. Even though we know it's stupid to do "what I want, when I want;"we still have a hard time believing what we know to be true.

When I know it's wiser and smarter to go to bed in good time instead of staying up to watch television I am tempted to trick myself into believing what I know isn't true.

Only ruthless honesty with oneself and a commitment to a reflective and sincere life will keep us from the self-deception that is ultimately self-destructive.

For God's sake and our own, let's commit to reflective and sincere living, even (especially?) when it means delaying gratification in this moment for greater returns later on.