Thursday, August 16, 2012

Don't Forget

In preparing for this Sunday's sermon I was struck by the passionate plea of love from God for us not to forget Him, our commitments to Him and His promises to us. I decided to do a topical search for verses on forgetting God and what He has done for us. What I found blew me away. There are so many pleas from God on this topic. Read through these scriptures and invite God to burn this call to "not forget" into your soul. Then spend some time remembering what God has done for you personally.

Deuteronomy 32:18 “You neglected the Rock who had fathered you; you forgot the God who had given you birth.”

Judges 3:7 The Israelites did evil in the LORD’s sight. They forgot about the LORD their God, and they served the images of Baal and the Asherah poles.”

Judges 8:34 “They forgot the LORD their God, who had rescued them from all their enemies surrounding them.” 

1 Samuel 12:9 “But the people soon forgot about the LORD their God, so he handed them over to Sisera, the commander of Hazor’s army, and also to the Philistines and to the king of Moab, who fought against them.”

Psalm 106:7 “Our ancestors in Egypt were not impressed by the LORD’s miraculous deeds. They soon forgot his many acts of kindness to them. Instead, they rebelled against him at the Red Sea.”
Psalm 106:13 “Yet how quickly they forgot what he had done! They wouldn’t wait for his counsel!”
Psalm 106:21 “They forgot God, their savior, who had done such great things in Egypt”

Isaiah 17:10 “Why? Because you have turned from the God who can save you. You have forgotten the Rock who can hide you. So you may plant the finest grapevines and import the most expensive seedlings.”

Isaiah 51:13 “Yet you have forgotten the LORD, your Creator, the one who stretched out the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth. Will you remain in constant dread of human oppressors? Will you continue to fear the anger of your enemies? Where is their fury and anger now? It is gone!”

Isaiah 57:11 “Are you afraid of these idols? Do they terrify you? Is that why you have lied to me and forgotten me and my words? Is it because of my long silence that you no longer fear me?”

Isaiah 65:11  “But because the rest of you have forsaken the LORD and have forgotten his Temple, and because you have prepared feasts to honor the god of Fate and have offered mixed wine to the god of Destiny,”

Jeremiah 2:32 “Does a young woman forget her jewelry? Does a bride hide her wedding dress? Yet for years on end my people have forgotten me.”

Jeremiah 3:21 “Voices are heard high on the windswept mountains, the weeping and pleading of Israel’s people. For they have chosen crooked paths and have forgotten the LORD their God.”

Jeremiah 13:25 “This is your allotment, the portion I have assigned to you,” says the LORD, “for you have forgotten me, putting your trust in false gods.”

Ezekiel 23:35 “And because you have forgotten me and turned your back on me, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: You must bear the consequences of all your lewdness and prostitution.”

Hosea 2:13 “I will punish her for all those times when she burned incense to her images of Baal, when she put on her earrings and jewels and went out to look for her lovers but forgot all about me,” says the LORD.”

Hosea 4:6 “My people are being destroyed because they don’t know me. Since you priests refuse to know me, I refuse to recognize you as my priests. Since you have forgotten the laws of your God, I will forget to bless your children.”

Hosea 8:14 “Israel has forgotten its Maker and built great palaces, and Judah has fortified its cities. Therefore, I will send down fire on their cities and will burn up their fortresses.”

Hosea 13:6 “But when you had eaten and were satisfied, you became proud and forgot me.”

Hebrews 12:5 “And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said, “My child, don’t make light of the LORD’s discipline, and don’t give up when he corrects you.”
Romans 6:2-4 “2 Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? 3 Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? 4 For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.”
2 Peter 1:5-10 “But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,  to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.”