Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Messy Accomplishment

"Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; But much increase comes by the strength of an ox." Proverbs 14:4

My life is in the middle of upheaval.

 I am re-engineering my family and home life to reflect the new realities I am facing there. (My kids are now all back to school, they are all in school, one is almost a teenager...and then there are the goals I have for our family spiritually, relationally etc.) If I left my home life as it is it would be far more peaceful; there would be no major upheavals (at least in the short term). But I am not satisfied with things the way they are. They can be better. The new realities I am facing demand change and new strategies, and we are going to battle to make those changes wisely and effectively.

I am re-engineering my inner world to reflect the new realities I am facing there. I want to grow and become more the person God has called me to be. If I do what I have always done I will get what I have always gotten. Things would be more peaceful. Things would be more calm, but things would be stagnant. Want things to get quiet, clean, neat and tidy? Die. That gets things quiet and peaceful in a hurry. So, my inner world is in the midst of a major overhaul. I am changing the way I read and what I read. I am working on finding new and different mentors. I am challenging myself in fresh ways. What a mess!

I am re-engineering my church to reflect the new realities there. We want a church that does not just survive but that thrives and prevails. To get to the next level means change; change means things get messy. Actually, that's what got me thinking about this blog. We are in the midst of major facility renovations here. They are messy and create all kinds of upheaval to our regular way of life. One would think we are crazy doing all this. But then...staying the way we were, as good as it was...is unthinkable.

I would rather have my life in upheaval intentionally because I am moving in the right direction than unintentionally because I never moved at all. Yes, there is a mess when there is an ox in the stall. A lot of manure to deal with! But there is much strength and effectiveness from the ox. Let's take the mess and get the work done. Let's also clean up along the way so that it is bearable.