Monday, May 9, 2011

Books of April

April was a tough month as far as reading goes. I did not spend as much time reading as I normally do. But what I did read, I sure learned lots from. Thank God for great books.

While I am in it, if you are reading this blog I would love to hear what books you are reading and what you think about them. I would also love to know what books you would recommend. I can't promise I will read them (I have a list of books to read a mile long) but it's great to learn from each other.

Culture of Honour - Danny Silk    
This book was recommended to me by a two totally different people, both of whom I respect. It had some awesome points and a couple chapters that I loved. It's basic framework felt foreign to me though. I am not sure what the deal is, but books from this framework of thinking seem to me to be reading a different Bible than I am. Anyway, lots of great stuff in this book, some very helpful paradigms for the church to recover.

Preaching without Notes - Joseph Webb
This was a fun and encouraging book with lots of practical advice and discussion of the benefits of preaching without being tied down to notes. Since preaching is my top gift, it is my responsibility to steward it well and I do a lot of reading about it. I actually just finished another book with the same title that was even better than this one but that will be for next month.

No wonder they call Him The Saviour - Max Lucado
I love Lucado. I love his passion for God's truth becoming real to us. I love his ability to think creatively and freshly about God's solid truth. I love his using his creative talents and poetic style to bring God's truth across.

The Radical Disciple - John Stott
This is John Stott's last book. He is one of my life's heroes. This book is awesome and I recommend it to anyone. I don't actually even agree with everything he writes but this man's character and heart for God are unparalleled by anyone I know. The fruit of his ministry is absolutely phenomenal. I have read over a dozen of his books and every time I read one I wonder why I don't read him more. A wonderful wordsmith, a wonderful theologian and a wonderful man of God.  Oh, for God to raise up many John Stott's in the current generation!

Thirsting For God - Gary L. Thomas
This book is a re-write of a book of Gary's that I have already read but I have a commitment to read everything he writes. For me, this version wasn't as good as the first one but it was still great. Basically it is a book about developing a close walk with God with an emphasis in learning from the ancient church fathers. Like fresh water for the soul. Needs to be read slowly.

Think - John Piper 
I know I am going to feel badly for getting a little overly zealous about this book but I loved it. It is one of the best reads I have had in a long time. When I finished it I put it away with a sense of excitement about the next time I get to pick it up and read it again. Every chapter I finished I looked for someone to tell the content of what I was learning to. Piper ignites my passion to experience God for myself and then give Him glory for His awesomeness.

Wikinomics - Don Tapscott
This book was very interesting but way too long for me. It goes in depth in it's study of the Internet, marketing and what changes the Internet is having on society in general. It gave me a few very cool ideas which I hope to try out sometime soon and helped me grasp the Internet revolution that it happening before our eyes. But it is not exactly in a field that I am passionate about so I would have been happy to read the cliff notes version.