Saturday, April 21, 2012

How I Respond To Life's Difficulties

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it. In fact, much of the development and growth that we experience takes place in and through life's difficulties. Our reponse to these difficulties determines whether they will build us up or destroy us. When we face trials we can choose to become better or bitter. The Bible is LOADED with scriptures referencing this reality. Here are a few passages that can help us respond rightly to our trials.


James 1:2-4        Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

If I respond rightly to my trials they can develop perseverance, maturity and help me remove my defects.

2 Cor 1:5-10 We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.
If I respond rightly to my trials they can help me become more dependant on God.

1 Pet 4:1-2           Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.
If I respond rightly to my trials they can help me become free from ealthy desires and more given to God's will.

1 Pet 1:6-9           In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith-- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-- may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

If I respond rightly to my trials they can refine my faith and make it more genuine resulting on more glory for God.