Friday, April 27, 2012

What to do when faith seems weak and victory lost

One of the most memorable titles for a sermon I have ever heard was the title is this blog.
 "What to do when faith seems weak and victory lost"
It's not what you would think of as a catchy title and yet I have remembered it from the moment I read the words on the front cover of the cassette containing the sermon. I knew I had to listen to it and I needed to hear it as soon as possible. Why?
Because although sometimes my faith is strong and victory is eminent, I also face times that my faith is floundering and victory feels a million miles away.
Because I often endure trials and problems that are far beyond my ability to overcome or even endure.
Because I will inevitably need this kind of advice sooner or later and I would do much better getting the advice before I find myself in the midst of the storm.

So...what do you do? Here are three thoughts, but before you read them why don't you come up with a few things to do? I bet with a little thought and prayer you could develop a plan for yourself that is custom tailored for you, so don't let me do all your thinking for you.

1. Hang on a little longer. Although we often feel that we have run out of strength and we can't hang on much longer...we can hang on a little longer. So take one more step. Carry one more load. Do it one more time. You'd be amazed how far you can go like this, much further than you would think. Sometimes if you will just hang on a little longer, your break though comes. Just think, if you had given up hope a few inches before the breakthrough...well, that would be a shame.

2. Realize it's okay to be weak. Funny enough when we accept our weakness instead of trying to be strong we often come across a strength outside ourselves. If you are a follower of Christ...that would be Him.
2 Cor. 12:10 "That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
3. Reach out for help from friends. One of the keys here is building into strong relationships before you face a crisis. God intends us to gain strength from one another. God will allow you to face situations that cause you to NEED others. We may find it difficult to humble ourselves and receive help from others but this is one of the keys to getting through tough times and there really are no shortcuts.

4. You came up with this one and the next.

5.