Monday, April 30, 2012

Hard Battles and Sweet Victories

I would love it if everything good in life came handed to me on a silver platter.
I would love it if you didn't really have to work hard for the victories that I enjoy.
But life is clearly not that way.
If I want to be in good shape I have to sacrifice, work and struggle for it.
If I want to have a sharp mind  I have to engage my mind in strenuous activity and keep it active.
If I want financial peace I have to deny my urges to splurge and I have to take the long approach to savings.

Here is what I am reflecting on today . "The harder the climb, the sweeter the summit." Mark Batterson

The reality is that I appreciate the good things in life more when I have had to battle for them.
The reality is that I enjoy the good things in life more when I have had to battle for them.

I take back the first statement in this blog. I wouldn't really love it if everything good in life came handed to me on a silver platter. I wouldn't really love it if I didn't have to work hard for the victories I enjoy.

What victories are you working hard for?
Are you tempted to look for a shortcut?
Don't do it.
Not only will the shortcut turn out wrong but even if it did work out....the harder way is the better way.

Instead of pursuing maximum ease, what if we pursued maximum life? Instead of looking for the path of least resistance, what if we pursued the path of greatest glory?

I think God waits to answer our prayers sometimes so that the victory will be sweeter when He does answer them. I think God leaves enemies in our path sometimes so that we can gain strength by fighting them. I think God does this not because He's playing games with us but because He loves us so much that He doesn't want to settle for less than the very best for us.

Proverbs 25:2 "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter."

Proverbs 10:4 "Lazy people are soon poor; hard workers get rich."

Proverbs 12:11 "A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense."

Proverbs 12:14 "Wise words bring many benefits, and hard work brings rewards."

Proverbs 12:24 "Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave."
Proverbs 13:4 "Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper."

Proverbs 13:11 "Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time."

Proverbs 21:5 "Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty."
Proverbs 28:19 "A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies ends up in poverty."