Saturday, December 29, 2012

Next Year Already?

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace."

I don't know about you but I have a lot of goals and plans for 2013 already and it's not even here yet. In fact, I am already behind on 2013 and it's still 3 days away! Jesus had some great advice about tomorrow. He said, "So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34.

So here is what I am doing with next year. I am anticipating it, planning for it and preparing for it...but mostly...I am NOT worrying about it. I am simply engaging in this year and making the most of what's before me today. I hope to do the same thing in a few days when it's next year. New years is a wonderful time for reflection both at the previous year and also reflecting on what the future might hold for us and how we can plan for it. But it can also be a time of anxiety and stress if we overpressure ourselves into the future. Ultimately, Christ invited us to engage fully in today - each day - not allowing yesterday or tomorrow to interfere with fully living each moment with and for Him.

So if your feeling a bit stressed out about 2013...
“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." (Matthew 6:34 - The Message)