Friday, January 4, 2013

Best 10 Books Out of 95 (from 2012)

Here are some of the books I read in 2012. The best 10 were...

Respectable Sins – Jerry Bridges
A really well done look at pursuing greater godliness for most Christians. This book awakens in the average North American Christian a fresh pursuit of holy living in a way that is not legalistic but results on a more abundant God-glorifying life.

Crazy Love – Francis Chan
Chan is awesome. He is brutally honest and calls for radical Biblical living. A fresh voice for true Christianity is a sea of North American mediocrity.

The Jesus I never knew –Phillip Yancey
This is one of the better books I have read in my life. Not an easy read but so worthwhile. Strengthened my faith and drew me closer to Jesus...what more could I ask for.

The Living Church - John Stott
Every time I read a book by Stott I am blown away. Definitely one of my life heroes.

The Explicit Gospel – Matt Chandler
Chandler is a fresh voice for Biblical, solid and challenging Christianity. One of my life's goals is to go deeper in the gospel every day. This book was definitely a good one for that!

The Reason for God –Timothy Keller
I read lots of Keller this year. He is a great writer and I see him as a modern C.S. Lewis. If there is anyone today being used by God to lead successful, atheistic and agnostic people to Jesus this is the guy. When I want to strengthen my own faith and learn at the edge of my learning capacity I go to Keller. His sermons/messages online are also very powerful.
 
Grace – Max Lucado
I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Worship Matters – Bob Kauflin
This was recommended to me by a friend as the best stuff  worship he had read. It was definitely the very best on worship I have ever come across. Some parts a bit hard reading since he tries to be so thorough but awesome stuff.
 
The Blessed Life – Robert Morris
Although I don't agree with everything this guy says this is the most inspiring and best look a generosity I have ever read. I loved it and long for every Christ-follower to know these truths and live in them. They make the Christian life an awesome adventure.
 
The Pursuit of God – A.W. Tozer
This is one of the best books of all time. I have read it over a dozen times and I need to read it regularly. It creates a hunger for a tangible relationship with God in me like nothing else I have ever read. A classic.
 
The list that follows is all the books  (95 of them) of 2012 that I reccorded that I read.
What is God really like? Craig Groeschel (editor)
Atheism Remixed – R. Albert Mohler Jr.
Respectable Sins – Jerry Bridges
Crazy Love – Francis Chan
The Jesus I never knew – Phillip Yancey
The Living Church - John Stott
Growing Wise in Family Life – Charles Swindoll
Creating Your Personal Life Plan – Michael Hyatt
Who is this man? – John Ortberg

The Explicit Gospel – Matt Chandler
The Reason for God – Timothy Keller
Grace – Max Lucado

Jesus: Pure and Simple – Wayne Cordiero
Faith Begins at Home – Mark Holmen
The God I Never Knew – Robert Morris
The Pursuit of God – A.W. Tozer
Simple Church – Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger
The Meaning of Marriage – Tim Kellor
Sticky Faith – Dr. Kara Powell, Dr. Chap Clark
How to be the parents of happy and obedient children – Roy Lessin
Train Up A Child – Rolf Zetterson
Heaven Help The Home – Howard Hendriks
Pastoral Graces – Lee Eclov
The Next Generation Leader – Andy Stanley
Let your life speak – Parker Palmer
The grace of God – Andy Stanley
The supremacy of Christ in a postmodern world – John Piper/Justin Taylor
The Basics: Love God, Love People – YWAM
The Five Temptations of  A CEO – Patrick Lencioni
Sharpening your leading edge – Jack Hayford
Leadership Reconsidered – Ruth Tucker

Battlefield of the mind – Joyce Meyers
Simply Living – Cecil Murphy
Quitting Church: Why the Faithful are Fleeing and What to Do about It - Julia Duin
Choice, Desire and The Will of God – David Runcorn
It’s Not My Fault – Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
The Art of Critical Decision Making – Miachel Roberto

The Art of Choosing – Sheena Iyengar
Ways to Win With People – John Maxwell
A New Day – Reginald Bibby
When Heaven Invades Earth – Bill Johnson
The art of forgiving – Lewis Smedes

Colossians Commentaries:
Life Application
William Barclay
Love and Forgiven – Lloyd John Ogilvie
Be Complete – Warren Wiersbe
Lectures on the Epistle to the Colossians - H.A. Ironside
Colossians and the Supremacy of Christ – R. Kent Hughes
Fullness and Freedom – RC Lucas
Communicators Commentary – Maxie D. Dunnam
Studies in Colossians – Scripture Press


The Law of Happiness – Dr. Henry Cloud
Night with A Perfect Stranger – David Grgory
Worship Matters – Bob Kauflin
The God Questions – Hal Seed
Well Being – Tom Rath and Jim Harter
9 Things You Simply Must Do – Dr. Henry Cloud
Jesus + Nothing = Everthing – Tullian Tchividjian
Great by Choice – Jim Collins
The Blessed Life – Robert Morris 
Rethinking Retirement – John Piper