Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Worrying About Worrying

I have been doing a lot of worrying about worrying lately. I am worried about leaders. I am worried about mothers. I am worried about workers. I am worried about good people who want to do good things.

I am worried because most good people I know are over-stressed. This is not good for their health, not good for their souls and not good for their personal effectiveness in life. The thing that concerns me is that the very good that they do is stressing them out so much that they are unable to do as much good as they would like.

I not only want to do good, I want to do MORE good. I can't stand seeing all the good that needs to be done without committing my energies to doing it.

But what is the alternative? Doing nothing? Unthinkable! That is even more destructive to our souls and our health. Catch 22.

Here is what I have been thinking lately. What if I could do more but worry less? What if I could engage wholeheartedly and passionately in my family, my work, my community, etc., but remain at peace within? What if we could have tons of activity on the outside and deep peace and calm on the inside? Maybe the problem is not external activity but internal frenzy. Maybe the problem is not that we are striving too hard on the outside but that we are worrying, stressing and anxious on the inside.

What if we could work hard for God but rest in God?
What if we could engage fully in life's activities but leave the results to the One who asks us to give our very best in serving Him but then calls us to cast our cares on Him?
What if we learned to rest within and work without?