Friday, October 2, 2009

Logs and Specks (True Community Pt 3)

When it comes to the building of true community, the worst enemies are things like pride, arrogance, selfishness, envy and exclusiveness. It's easy to look on the outside and judge the obvious sins. But many times, the greater issue is the 'log in our own eye'. If there is someone in your home, church or workplace that you are having trouble with, chances are that God is trying to teach YOU something. Chances are that their speck is helping reveal your log. And in case you are wondering if I eat my own medicine on this, I have so many logs I am dealing with right now, I could build my very own cabin!

"The sins of the flesh are bad, but they are the least bad of all sins. All the worst pleasures are purely spiritual: the pleasure of putting other people in the wrong, of bossing and patronizing;... the pleasures of power, of hatred. For there are two things inside me, competing with the human self which I must try to become. They are the Animal self, and the Diabolical self. The diabolical self is the worse of the two. That is why a cold, self-righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute." C.S. Lewis

Luke 6:41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye?"