Saturday, February 6, 2010

Managing Desires

Why don't I do what I want to do? Mostly because I don't want to...well at least part of me doesn't want to. That's the problem, conflicting desires. I want to spend time with my kids and I want to sleep in. I want to eat healthier and I want some ice cream. I want to read my Bible and I want to see today's top news stories. I want to...okay you get it.


So...what to do?

1. Realize how much my desires influence me. Get away from activity long enough to think through which desires I need to increase.

2. Plan out how to feed those desires and increase them. Desire is like a fire, it grows with more fuel.

3. Resist the temptation to focus on the negatives. What we focus on we tend to move toward. Sometimes resisting a desire actually fuels it.

4. Enjoy the journey. Desires cannot be cultivated properly with a misery mindset. If you think managing your desire is about being miserable and denying your enjoyment of life etc. you will not get far. (ie. If you think eating healthy will make you miserable, no matter how hard you try, you will not eat healthy BUT if you believe eating healthy will actually enhance your joy and you really believe that, your desires will be on your side).