Tuesday, September 28, 2010

James

A couple weeks ago my interest in reading God's Word for life and joy was renewed. This morning I came across a few verses which seemed very rich spiritual food.

Here they are:
"Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the Word planted in you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." Jam. 1:21,22

There is a society-saturating voice, filled with all kinds of garbage that I am not supposed to listen to. For me, this includes music, TV, news, and more that is simply full of evil. Instead of letting that voice flood into my soul, I am to invite the voice of God, through His word. Get it in me, accept it humbly, and do it. That simple...that complicated.

"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard but doing it - He will be blessed in what he does." James 1:25

When I live according to the advice and voice of the world, my life tends to fall apart. My inner world tends to be filled with anxiety and not peace, with discouragement and not joy. My outer world bears the regret of sowing and reaping poor choices. But when I choose to fill my life with God's truth and live according to it continually, my life tends to reflect the blessing of God. My inner world tends more to life and peace and joy. My outer world reveals the blessing of good choices and God's hand.

Reminds me of Psalm 1