Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chapter 8

Chapter 8 means different things to different people but to millions of people throughout history it  has referred to one of the greatest and most powerful pieces of literature they have ever encountered. There is a reason classics are classics. Read the first paragraph and invite the Holy Spirit to make it live for you.

Romans 8:1-4 "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 And because you belong to him, the power[a] of the life-giving Spirit has freed you[b] from the power of sin that leads to death. 3 The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature.[c] So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. 4 He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit."

What piece stands out? What is God saying to you today from His Word?

I love the line, "life-giving Spirit has freed you..." When I think of the Holy Spirit, I want to embrace the life-giving, freeing nature that He offers me. Some days I need 'life' breathed into me quite badly, other days I am full and overflowing with this 'breath of life'. For me, this is the only true freedom, all other kinds of freedom are false and fleeting. When I follow my sinful nature and listen to it's empty promises I end up having the life sucked out of me and in my pursuit of 'freedom' I end up in bondage. By God's grace I will "Follow the Spirit" not my sinful nature. Today, as I go about my day, in everything, I will try to remember to ask myself, "Am I following the life-giving, freeing Spirit or am I being deceived into life-sucking bondage by following my flesh?"
"God, by you're grace, please help me follow Your life-giving Spirit now and always."

Take the time to read over those verses one more time before moving on with your day.

Follow the life-giving Spirit of Jesus today, you'll be glad you did.