Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Most Important Discovery of Frank's Whole Life

"I have tasted a thrill in fellowship with God which has made anything discordant with God disgusting. This afternoon the possession of God has caught me up with such sheer joy that I thought I never had known anything like it. God was so close and so amazingly lovely that I felt like melting all over with a strange blissful contentment. Having had this experience, which comes to me now several times a week, the thrill of filth repels me, for I know its power to drag me from God. And after an hour of close friendship with God my soul feels clean, as new fallen snow....

...Inwardly this has been a very uneven week. As a whole my end of the experiment has been failure for most of the week. My physical condition and too many distractions have proven too much for me, and God has not been in the center of my mind for one--fifth of the time, or perhaps one--tenth.

...The most important discovery of my whole life is that one can take a little rough cabin and transform it into a palace just by flooding it with God."

...Tip and I and God were together tonight on Signal Hill. Oh, God, let me put on paper the glory that was there. The sunset was not more beautiful than at other times, but God said more in it. I suppose it was because I was trying to make this first day of my forty--sixth year high. And that I suppose is why all of us have some high days and some low ones. God is always awaiting the chance to give us high days. We so seldom are in deep earnest about giving Him His chance....I wish to tell all the world that it needs a better way. That God on Signal Hill satisfies...just the privilege of fellowship with God is infinitely more than anything God could give. When He gives Himself, He is giving more than anything else in the universe."

- Frank Laubach in Practicing His Presence