Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Champions Book Club

A little over a year ago I started a book club where we read a recommended book every month or so and I write emails about my thoughts on the book to those in the club.

Two things motivated me to do this.
1. God has used reading and books so much in my life to grow me and make me the man I am today. I shudder to think where I would be if I had not been disciplined in reading!
2. I read so many books that one gift I can give (one place I can add value to others) is to share with others the BEST books I read. In other words, for every 100 books I read I recommend only one to you. That way you get the opportunity to read some of the better material out there. Every time you read a book, by necessity you are saying "no" to reading thousands of other books. Choose your books wisely!

It has been a rewarding experience seeing people grow and having them be blessed by the books they are reading. Below is the latest e-mail I sent out to the club. If you would like to join the club please send me an e-mail at pastordan@victorymj.com. Our latest book is "The Divine Mentor" by Wayne Cordeiro.

Fellow Champions,

You are a champion because God has redeemed you and put His Spirit in you. He has given you everything you need to live a victorious life in Him (according to HIS definition of Victorious living!).

I am so thrilled that this Sunday we sold out of the new book club book. I have ordered a few more but if you want one please put your name down for one so we can make sure we have one ordered for you (e-mail me or Kelly).

One of the things I love is that this book does not get overly complicated. I am suspicious of anything that claims to have the “super-truth” and “reveal some dark secrets that only the really profound can understand”. In fact, I am convinced that we win and we help others win when we simply do the simple, basic things well in life. Many times complicating things is just a distraction. Oh, for more of the simple, pure truth of God’s Word in our day!

Pages 27-36 about wisdom are worth so much, give them another look. I find these words very convicting and motivating. I long to learn from wisdom so that I don’t have to learn from consequences. This means enduring pain on the frontside (before I face the situation, endure the pain of personal discipline and growth) rather than on the backside (ha). Of course the pain of learning is never as bad as the pain of the consequences of not learning.

Look at these chapter titles:
-          The Self-Feeding Program
-          One Thing for Martha
-          Fresh Bread
-          Delighting in God’s Word
-          The University of the Holy Spirit
-          A Final Word: The Presence of God

There is so much more I would like to say. I will save for another e-mail. It is wonderful to be journeying with you all into a deeper walk with God.

Your testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.” Psalm 119:24

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Dan