Saturday, February 19, 2011

How do I know if I found the right person?

Okay...ya...how do you know? Well, you don't. One of the curious things of life is that we are never truely prepared for what we face. I beleive this keeps us dependant on God. But we can prepare better, gain more wisdom and certainly those who choose wisdom make far better choices on average.

Here are some questions to guide you.

1. Do I feel attracted to this person? (Do I like to be with them and do I find them physically and emotionally attractive?)
2. Do we influence each other in the right direction? Are we both pulling each other towards God and a godly life. If you want what's best for them and you are draging them down...love them enough to leave them alone (and visa versa).
3. Do we feel the ability to share our hearts with each other?
4. Are there hidden things in their life I don't know about? Am I suspicious of this? Am I blinding myself to reality?
5. Is there anything I am not facing because "I am in love?" (Am I blinding myself to reality?)
6. What would wise people in my life say about that person and me? (Ask them sincerely beleiving they are doing you a favour by telling you the truth.) If you say, "This person is right for me, right?"... You are not really looking for their opinion and wisdom, you are looking for their approval.
7. If you were your daughter or son, would you be glad for this person marrying your son or daughter?

As I mentioned in a blog a few days ago....character is the main thing I would look for. I listed some character questions.