I just read this and was inspired by it. I hope you are to.
From the Desk of Dr. George Hill
Breaking into the Community
Dear Victory Pastors, Leaders and Congregations,
There is a great excitement and expectancy in my spirit about the future. Jesus said, “Lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest” (John 4:35 NKJ). Before the return of Christ there will be the greatest ingathering of souls this world has ever seen (James 5:7).
Our #1 purpose statement as Victory Churches is: to reach every available person, at every available time, by every available means with the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is Christ’s greatest passion; it’s what brought Him to earth and gave Him the strength to endure the suffering and shame of the cross. Luke 19:10 says, “For the Son of Man has come to seek and save that which was lost.” Every passion we have should be subject to Christ’s greatest passion.
A Great Commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will build aLet us all seek to Love One, Win One and Disciple One as often as we can. If we all did this with just one person a year, our churches would double in size every year. Wow!
! Great Church
The following is an outline of a message I preached on:
Breaking into the Community
“Jesus went about all the cities and villages teaching in their synagogues preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore praythe Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into the harvest.’”(Matthew 9:35-38)
The sequence went like this: He went, He saw, He felt, He cared and He did something. Spurgeon said, “No greater joy on earth for a man than to know he has been used as an instrument under God to lead souls to Jesus”.
How do I go about finding and using my gift for God?
Expose yourself to the hurts of others.That’s what Jesus did. How long has it been since you were moved by the needs of others? Love is a powerful motivator and it manifests itself in many different ways: goodness, kindness, mercy and sacrifice. Love breaks down the walls of prejudice and it finds a way to communicate. Love also causes us to pray.
1. We go first to God on behalf of the lost and hurting through intercession (Matthew 9:38).We must pray to the Lord of the harvest for laborer’s to be sent out into the harvest, not ‘Lord you bring them in!’ The ones that prayed are the ones He commissioned and sent out; sometimes we become the answer to our own prayers.
“Ask of me and I shall give you the heathen.” (Psalm 2:8)
The spirit of prayer comes as a result of a burden for the lost and hurting. Evangelism is a result of vision and a burden for the lost.
2. Then we must go to the lost and hurting on the behalf of God.He gives power and authority to those who will go and do His work (Matthew 10:1).
“Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.” (Isaiah 6:8)
3. Go where He sends you and you will experience Holy Spirit directed and empowered service.The key to a supernatural life is to find out what God is doing and get involved (Matthew 10:5-6).
4. Stay awhile and develop a bridge of friendship (Matthew 10:11).You don’t have to win them in five minutes. Be friendly and polite, be interested in them, and never forget the value of just one soul to God.
5. Bless them and put value into them (Matthew 10:13).Every-body is a Somebody. Leave a good tip in the restaurant and a card from your church. Treat every person like they are the key to that community.
6.Meet the needs (Matthew 10:8).“Freely you have received freely give.” What did Peter have in Acts 3:6? “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you.” He had the power of the Holy Spirit on the inside of him and authority to use it in the name of Jesus. The gifts of the Holy Spirit will open a person’s heart. Pray for the sick and the hurting.
7. Preach the gospel (Matthew 10:7).You have to be good news before you can effectively share good news. “Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside redeeming the time. Let your speech always be seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” (Colossians 4:5-6).
First you must know you are saved, and know how you were saved, then share your testimony.
Know the simple ABCs of Salvation:
A - Admit you are a sinner; “all have sinned” (Romans 3:23).
B - Believe Jesus is the Son of God.
C - Consider the cost. It doesn’t really cost, it pays, but you have to let go of the old way of life to pick up the new.
D - Decide I have decided to follow Jesus. It’s a choice that only you can make.
Why is heaven so wonderful and hell so horrible? One reason is to make the choice easy. Let’s make it hard for people to go to hell in our communities!
Yours for the winning of souls, making of disciples, raising up of leaders and the planting of fresh, new, vibrant churches. That will take the gospel around the world; for the glory of God and the expansion of His kingdom.See you all at the top!
Dr George Hill