Tuesday, November 27, 2012

14:21 The longing of every human heart!

I am so thankful for the recent reflections I read by John Stott on one of his favourite verses. For me, this is everything for every human being. We need to encounter Jesus for ourselves. It's so short and simple, but I literally broke down as I read it. I long to long for this more. I long for it to be true of me. I long for it to be true for you.

"Whoever has my commandments and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." John 14:21

This verse ends with a a particularly precious promise. "I will show myself to him (or her)", or "I will manifest myself to him." Is this not just what we are longing for, namely, a clearer vision of Christ? Sometimes we do not sense His presence and our vision is blurred. We may know the words of a rather old-fashioned prayer,
"Lord Jesus make yourself to me

A living bright reality;
More present to faith's vision keen
Than any outward object seen,
More dear, more intimately nigh
Than even the sweetest earthly tie."

But Jesus makes this promise conditional. He reveals himself only to his lovers. And who are His lovers? Not those who make loud protestations of love, and then go out like Peter and deny Him. Not those who sing rather sentimental songs "Jesus, I love you" (It's alright, I sing them too, but they do not prove anything.) No, those who truly love the Lord Jesus are those who obey his commandments.
To sum up, the test of love is obedience, and the reward of love is the self-manifestation of Christ.